Monday, August 9, 2010

BBTB2 Life's a Beach Lizard Cut


This is my second post of the day, so if you're looking for Macabre Monday, please scroll down. I'm trying hard to get back in the swing of things, but I had to get up at 3:00 am to do it. Just couldn't make this one all come together yesterday. For this week's BBTB2 challenge our dear DT sister Lori has chosen the lizard from Life's a Beach. I knew I wanted a sun (also from Life's a Beach) but the sentiment took awhile. I finally decided that "Bask in it" would be a good sentiment for a variety of occasions like birthday or some sort of congratulatory thing (the inside will some day read "It's Your Day!") and also thought it would be good for a guy, so I resisted the urge to put blingy toenails on the lizard. :D He's embossed with the Mesh Texture Cuttlebug folder (reversed) and inked with Shabby Shutters and Peeled Paint. Okay so he does have long lashes on those lidded peepers (and yikes the eyeballs sort of rolled back in this pic, enjoying the sun, I guess) but I do know a few guys who were blessed with bedroom eyes. (Are you reading this? LOL)

With all of that texture goin' on on the lizard, the sun looked pretty plain so I took the wavy embossing folder from the Cuttlebug Just My Type border set and embossed each ray. To do that, I positioned the border as shown and used my A plate, Spellbinder's tan mat, B plate, folder with sun inside and 1/8th inch plumber's gasket cut to the size of the border folder and ran each ray through the Cuttlebug individually. There was a little smooshing of the texture where they met, but I was covering that up anyway. The center of the sun is embossed with Swiss Dots.



I really wanted to make one of my shaped front cards here but the design was really too open for that so I created the base by welding two rounded rectangles from George and cutting 2 smaller mats as well. No shadows on Life's a Beach, either so I welded the entire front mess together and cut additional sun and lizard layers to do my offsetting trick. The font is from Don Juan which actually DOES have a shadow but it's so close to the regular cut that I cut extra of those as well. (Oh yea! There are his little eyeballs.)
That cool "sand" paper is from an old DCWV Summer Glitter Stack. I will be heartbroken when I use that up! As you can see, there's quite a bit of dimension here. Glad I started making my own pop dots using fun foam and double stick tape. And no, that isn't lizard poop, I just need something to balance the design, Marlene. Obviously getting up that early didn't leave me at a loss for words,but one last thing. be sure to stop by BBTB2 to see the fabulous creations from the rest of the DT and we sure love it when you play along.

25 comments:

  1. I can't believe I am first. This is just too cute. I love those eyes.. where did you find them. It so totally awesome... hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get the eyes at JoAnn's in the kid's crafts section. They're by Darice and come in 2 sizes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool card! love the lizzard! The whole thing reminds me of Ariaonz or New Mexico!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Donna,
    This is so cute. The texture on the lizard sure adds so much. The sun looks so cool with the texture on the rays. I am going to have to try and make my own pop dots. Michaels is out of them more times than they have them. Also great colors.
    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too freakin' cute!!! I have a lizard today, too!! WTH?! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just awarded your blog the Cherry On Top" blog award. In order to accept it you must visit my blog and post it to yours. I love your blog, and you have been so helpful with advice and instructions!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic texture, dimension and embossing, Donna. I agree this card would work great for a guy and they're always so tough to make cards for.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are cracking me up! Feeling a bit delirious? Well we are in the same boat as that allll my kids got up before the sun today! GEEZ!
    I too did get some crafting done however! woo hoo!
    I love this and think its so fun and SO summery!

    Gotta go see what you got next....

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so cute Donna! Love the lizard and how you embossed him and that "sand" paper is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great card. I love the textures and the black shadow makes it look super 3-D'ish. lol I know, not a real word, but it fit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. always always...love your take on any card, any challenge. This is just so cute and I am going to grab up your title "bask in it" because you are so right, this can be used for so many cards.
    Very cute, Donna
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super job, Donna! The colors are brilliant and I love the sentiment! The striped paper has a nice contrast against the sandy paper... very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a great little boy card!!!
    love the embossing!

    Carol<><

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, Donna, you got up at 3am to make this card.....wow....that's all I can say. How do you even see straight at the hour? You really are Wonder Woman!!! LOL! Anyway, love your card....as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh fabulous Donna, brilliant sentiment in our fav font and the sand paper is perfect.Love the fab dimension, he he I couldn't resist the blingy toenails on mine lol and pink too!!
    Hugs
    Juliexx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it! I use that folder for lizards and dinos, too! You have to when you have little boys to make cards for! I need to find some of those eyes...love them! Get some rest my friend...3 am is way to early to be up!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this card and I absolutely love all of your work!!!!! You are SUPER TALENTED!!!! Thanks so much for sharing and for the inspiration!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Donna, wow another amazing card, the colours and textures are amazing and the lizard is adorable with his googly eyes, love it all super talented lady. It is so cold and wet here today, wish I was somewhere warm sunning myself. have a great week. hugs Jodie from Oz

    ReplyDelete
  19. Donna,Donna,Donna, delightful as always. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  20. You make the best cards! I am always amazed with your work because when I look at your designs I often think "she'll never top that one" but you do!

    TFS and I LOVE this card....

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Donna...
    Super cute..How did I miss this? Hope u r well...Did you get your goodies you were drooling over at CHA in the mail? I hope they arrived..I got Rock Princess, Winter Frolic, Hoot n Holler, and Country Life..All waiting for me to open them..HA...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Donna...
    Super cute..How did I miss this? Hope u r well...Did you get your goodies you were drooling over at CHA in the mail? I hope they arrived..I got Rock Princess, Winter Frolic, Hoot n Holler, and Country Life..All waiting for me to open them..HA...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey Donna! So sorry for not having visited in a while... been meaning to drop in a line.

    Love the textures and embossing on this one! supah card :-)

    Hugs,
    Smita

    ReplyDelete
  24. LOL! I still think you could have put bling on the toes and gotten away with it. ;) Love this, Donna. That sand paper is REALLY cool!! I love all the details and the textures.

    ReplyDelete
  25. love the lizard and my fav bright colors.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!