Friday, February 17, 2012

Dilly Beans Seeing Red



Well, I'm finally back in business after our relaxing spa visit. The new challenge at The Dilly Beans Designers and Challenge Blog is Seeing Red. It's no secret that red is my FAVORITE color, but this also posed a bit of a problem as many of my Copic reds are running pretty dry. I had already chosen one of Megan's new images, Frida's Roses and decided to paper piece nearly the entire design using old retired Stampin' Up DP I've had for at least 3 years. The only parts of the design that are colored are the eyes, lips and leaves, with a bit of chalk blush on her face.



I printed the image twice in white for the background and leaves, once in cream for the face, once in polka dot for the hair, and twice for the stripes and layered roses which I popped for dimension. The bolder lines on this image is quite forgiving, but the real secret to "seamless" paper piecing is to go around all of the edges of the cuts with black marker so the white cut rim doesn't show. I used the side of the brush tip of a Memento Dual Marker because it doesn't bleed into your paper like a Copic can. It was a bit time consuming but I really love how it came out. My fabulously talented sisters have lots for you to OOOh and Ahhh over so be sure to visit the Challenge Blog and play along. I am also entering this in the Desert Island Crafters Challenge #25 using 2 or more patterned papers, green (barely), and polka dots, The DYSU #59 Layers Challenge, and te Digital Tuesday Challenge #147, Use Your Stash.

10 comments:

  1. Fabulous. Love the paper pieced hair and dimentions :). Adore these wonderful images hehe and the lay-out is so nice

    Hugs, Mette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna, so sweet, I love your background paper and her green eyeshadow. Time to order re=fills,lol. Glad you had a good time. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna, this is fantastic! I love the image and the use of red throughout. Crazy cool!! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the edging tip! This is awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. FABULOUS card! LOVE the red, black, and white colour combo, the paper piecing, the polka-dots, and that fabby image! Thanks so much for joining us, this week, at DYSU!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey there Miss Donna...another fabulous card! Love the paper piecing...oh, that hair!!! I have to admit that I use a black marker around the edges too...gives it a very "polished" look!
    Hope you have a great day!
    :Dxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely fabulous, love all the paper-piecing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. P.S. Thanks for joining us at Desert Islands Crafts Challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great image! Thanks for joining us at Do You Stack Up, hope to see you next week!

    -Wenche

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!