Monday, August 7, 2017

The Elements for Aurora Wings


The new challenge for Aurora Wings has begun and this one will last all month long.  The theme is The Elements.  We want to see projects inspired by Air, Fire, Water or Earth.



I've been wanting to do a project with the beautiful Sakura Fubuki Urei available HERE on AW.com and HERE on Etsy and thought this would be the perfect time.  I also had the perfect cherry blossom paper from the Graphic 45 Once Upon a Springtime collection.



Here's a closeup of Sakura Fubuki Urei.  I've colored her with Copics and cut and matted her with a die from Yvonne Creations.  The added cherry blossoms and petals from Recollections and wispy cheesecloth to enhance to the feeling of the gentle breeze in the image.  I've attached the image at the bottom and sides to create a pocket for a journaling card.
  

In Japan, the cherry blossom (sakura) is a symbol of the brilliance, fragility and fleeting nature of life. Each Spring they burst forth with an explosion of beauty, a glorious renewal, a symbol of rebirth, yet their splendor is tragically short lived.   Tied to the Buddhist themes of mortality, mindfulness and living in the present, the cherry blossom is a visual reminder to pay attention and celebrate life while you have it.  

This blizzard (fubuki) of petals in the wind is the end of their very short, but sweet life and the woman's wistful, melancholy or perhaps mournful (urei) expression evokes reflection, perhaps upon a life lost.  My thought was that this could be sent in sympathy, with the journaling card as a place to write fond memories by either the sender or recipient.  

Carpe diem.

My DT sisters have done amazing work for this new challenge so I hope you visit the Aurora Wings Challenge Blog, leave them some love, and come play along. We have a fun new FB Challenge on our Group page, too.  Check it out HERE.

Here's how to keep up with what's happening at Aurora Wings.

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful Donna and I love the colour scheme x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woow so pretty.. love the soft colour combo choice.. <3 xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing. You never stop to amaze me with your colorings and cards. I love the soft look on this one. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's no word to fully describe the elegant lyricism of your work here, Donna! I love the soft peachy pink and green, the blossoms and petals, the flowing cheesecloth, and the journaling card detail. This really touches me deeply as I miss the mass of cherry blossoms of my childhood every spring. Thank you so much for this beautiful inspiration for our latest challenge at Aurora Wings today! Mitzi xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful card I love your color and design I love it.
    Thank you for joining my DL.ART Thankful Thursday Anything Goes AUGUST Linky Challenge. Have a blessed day
    DIANA L.

    DL.ART DESIGN TEAM MEMBER
    DL.ART crinkle ribbon
    http://dianamlarson.blogspot.com
    http://dianamlarson.ctmh.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your colors and wonderful coloring. So glad you joined us at Morgan's ArtWorld.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a perfect match the image and papers and it looks so lovely, lots of hugs, Marion

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous image and colouring,love the flowers and idea of a journaling card for memories--interesting explanation of the image and flowers too-----Thank you for joining us at Create and Inspire
    Carol DT x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Absolutely Gorgeous! I love your coloring, the color combo and the mystic look of your card. Thank you for sharing with us at Morgan’s Artworld and the best of luck with your entry.

    Jacqueline DT Morgan’s Artworld

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw this at the Outlawz, Donna, and on the AuroraWings challenge, and it's simply magnificent! I've just finished a second card for that challenge but only 1 is posted so far. OK, now I have to pull on one of my DT hats -- It's great to see you playing along with us at Emerald City Crafts this month. Good luck in the challenge and come see us again for another challenge.
    NanaConnie DT

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful card and so clever to add the journaling card!
    Thanks for sharing with us at Simply Create Too and I hope you will join us again soon.
    Hugs
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wowza...I love yaour card Donna! Thanks for playing along with us at Lil' Patch of Crafty Friends. Hope to see you again soon. Good luck.
    Lynn aka Lynnpenguin, LPoCF DT

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing with us over here today at the Classic Open Design Team Challenge and best of luck with your entry.
    Carla DT

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!